Newcastle Museum aims to be an accessible, vibrant centre where there are always things to see, do and learn.
Newcastle Museum’s Vision
We will be a vibrant and welcoming centre for and about Newcastle.
Newcastle Museum’s Mission
We will collect, preserve and interpret objects and stories for and about Newcastle in an innovative way to inspire, entertain and engage.
Newcastle Museum is funded by City Of Newcastle. It has a small team of permanent staff and a number of casual Visitor Services staff who carry out all the important functions needed to run a Museum - from exhibition planning, to building maintenance, education program delivery, event management, collection care and more.
Award Winning Museum
Newcastle Museum has been awarded for its design, environmental sustainability and new tourism development
Newcastle Museum has been awarded the following awards since opening on 4 August 2011:
- Master Builders Association of NSW 2011 - Winner of Adaptive Re-use of an historic building
- Melbourne Design Award 2011 - Best Photographic campaign for our Newcastle Museum themed children
- UDIA Awards 2012 – Commendation Award in Urban Renewal & Winner of Best NSW Regional & ACT Project
- Hunter Tourism Awards 2012 – Winner in New Tourism Development
- Landcom Lower Hunter Urban Design Awards 2012 – Graph Building Heritage Award and Scooters & Mobility & Australasia Independent Living Aids Universal Access Award
- Museums and Galleries National Award 2012 – Winner in Sustainability and Highly commended Permanent Exhibitions categories
- NSW Tourism Awards 2012 - Silver Medal for New Tourism Product
- Finalist, Hunter Tourism Awards 2012 - Heritage & Culture
- Hunter Tourism Awards 2013 - Finalist, Cultural Heritage & Tourism.