We've loved welcoming the community back to Newcastle Museum since reopening in June. We are continually updating our measures to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff, as we comply with the latest NSW Public Health Orders.
Admission to Newcastle Museum is free, however you’ll need to bring your phone with you on your next visit! Visitors will need to scan in at entry points using a QR code.
We invite you to explore the collection and exhibitions. To help you make the most of your visit during the COVID-19 recovery phase and inform you of changes you will experience on your visit, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
Newcastle Museum is open Tuesday – Sunday, 10.00am – 5pm. During this time, you can explore the collection and new exhibitions. Visitors will need to scan in at entry points – make sure you bring your phone.
Tues – Sun, 10.00am – 5pm
(and 7 days during NSW School Holidays)
Contact 02 4974 1400 if you have any questions.
Find your way around
There are so many stories and objects to explore in our Museum as well as permanent and travelling exhibitions to experience. Allow yourself time to visit all our Museum spaces. You can download our map to help find your way around.
Download Newcastle Museum Map (PDF)
Food and Drink
Food and drink can only be consumed in designated areas only. The Museum lawn provides a great space for a picnic. If you are unsure about where you can eat, please ask the Museum staff.
The Museum has some coin operated lockers. Ask the Museum staff to direct you to them. Insert your $2 coin to get the locker key - your money will be returned to you when you get your personal items back.
To make sure your visit is a safe and pleasant one, the Newcastle Museum has some Conditions of Entry.
Museum Conditions of Entry
- Follow signs and directions given by Museum staff
- Wear shoes and suitable clothing (except in designated areas)
- Children under 12 must be supervised by an adult at all times
- Smoking is not allowed
- Food and drink may only be consumed in designated areas
- Animals are not allowed (except for Guide Dogs and other registered assistance dogs)
- You can take photos in the Museum. Commercial filming/photography is not allowed except by prior arrangement
- The Museum can refuse entry and remove anyone from the Museum if their behaviour is considered disruptive or offensive
- The Museum reserves the right to inspect bags
- The Museum is not liable for lost or stolen property and will not be held responsible for the loss or damage of object donations left at the Museum which have not been approved by the registrar or their authorised representative.
6 Workshop Way, Newcastle NSW 2300