Newcastle Museum aims to be an accessible, vibrant centre where there are always things to see, do and learn.
Newcastle Museum’s Vision
We will be a vibrant and welcoming centre for and about Newcastle.
Newcastle Museum’s Mission
Newcastle Museum is committed to telling the stories of both ordinary and extraordinary Newcastle through our collections, exhibitions, and audience engagement. We incorporate Newcastle Museum, Fort Scratchley Heritage Site and our off site storage facilities.
We are of service to our community and engage with all who visit the museums, both digitally and in the flesh. We believe in the word Museum, as it is both our integrity and our identity.
We are committed to providing the best and broadest museum experience, which is not only fun and attractive but is intellectually significant and beneficial to the community. We educate and entertain through both formal and informal means for all ages. We are firmly committed to full access for the community. We are proud to continue to keep the museums financially available to all and an integral and aligned service of City of Newcastle (CN).
All that we do is a celebration of our city and we are a significant element of the lives and identity of Newcastle's people.
Award Winning Museum
Newcastle Museum has been awarded for its design, environmental sustainability, exhibitions and tourism.
Newcastle Museum has been awarded the following awards since opening on 4 August 2011:
- Australian Museums and Galleries Award 2021 – National MAGNA 1X4
- Australian Museums and Galleries Award 2021 – MAGNA Temporary or Travelling Exhibition Level 1: Budget less than $20 000 1X4
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2021 – Winner Program Website Level A 1X4
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2020 – Winner Poster Level A Exploding Heads
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2020 – Highly Commended Identity Level A Exploding Heads
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2015 – Shortlisted Exhibition Catalogue (Small) Earthquake then & Now
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2013 – Winner Multimedia Level B Toys Exhibition Animation
- Museums Australasia Multimedia and Publication Design Awards 2013 – Highly Commended Invitation Level B Carnival of Wonder: 1st Birthday
- Hunter Tourism Awards 2013 - Finalist, Cultural Heritage & Tourism.
- Australian Museums and Galleries Award 2012 – Winner Level 1 (Under $20 000) Sustainability Newcastle Museum Green Team
- Australian Museums and Galleries Award 2012 – Highly Commended Level 4 (More than $500 000) Newcastle Museum Permanent Redevelopment
- Hunter Tourism Awards 2012 – Winner in New Tourism Development
- UDIA Awards 2012 – Winner of Best NSW Regional & ACT Project
- UDIA Awards 2012 – Commendation Award in Urban Renewal
- Landcom Lower Hunter Urban Design Awards 2012 – Graph Building Heritage Award
- Landcom Lower Hunter Urban Design Awards 2012 – Scooters & Mobility & Australasia Independent Living Aids Universal Access Award
- NSW Tourism Awards 2012 - Silver Medal for New Tourism Product
- Finalist, Hunter Tourism Awards 2012 - Heritage & Culture
- Master Builders Association of NSW 2011 - Winner of Adaptive Re-use of an historic building
- Melbourne Design Award 2011 - Best Photographic campaign for our Newcastle Museum themed children.